Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ignite! Velocity (San Jose): I'm Stoked!

Just found this in my e-mailbox
PLEASE READ: Ignite @ Velocity
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:41 PM
From.... oreilly.com

You are accepted to speak at Ignite Velocity.
...
Ignite is a set of rapid-fire presentations which, on this occassion, will be held within the O'Reilly Velocity Web Performance and Operations Conference, June 22-24, 2009, San Jose, CA. This title

Scalability for Quantheads: How to Do It Between Spreadsheets

got me in and I will cover the following points in 5 minutes:
  • Why are there no 30 ft giants like the one in "Jack and the Beanstalk"?
  • Why are there no 2,000(?) ft beanstalks, for that matter?
  • Both collapse when load exceeds strength. So, how big can a giant (or beanstalk) be?
  • Prove it. :)
  • How big can your web site be before performance collapses?
  • How do you know? Prove it!
  • I'll show you how to prove it using simple spreadsheets.
I don't need no stinkin' 20 slides. When I was taught to give presentations at Xerox PARC, we were told: if you have more slides than minutes, your talk is already in trouble. :D List of Ignite topics announced. Ignite! Velocity (San Jose)
Monday June 22, 2009 at 8:00pm
Fairmont San Jose Hotel
170 South Market Street
San Jose, California 95113

All the big Si Valley web-ops will be there. I look forward to chatting with them and you, if you're attending.

No comments: